National Grid ‘Demand Side Response’ Initiative Assisted by Powelectrics Telemetry
A Powelectrics connected sensor solution has helped our customer to participate in National Grid’s ‘Demand Side Response’ (DSR) initiative, DSR allows organisations to reduce or shift demand at certain times to create capacity in the grid and also for those with onsite power generation facilities, to supply energy to the grid when it is needed. This helps to ensure a secure, sustainable and affordable electricity system for the nation.
Powelectrics client participates by generating power at their Redditch site using a large Rolls Royce jet engine that is supplied by two enormous fuel tanks. They are committed to supplying power to the National Grid on demand, so they need to be sure that their jet engine has the fuel to respond whenever they receive the signal from National Grid
For this m2m project, signals from ATEX sensors in the tanks measure levels and this data is transmitted by our award-winning Metron telemetry to the cloud. Regular level readings are visible via Powelectrics web-based data platform, MetronView and alarms are sent when user-defined low-level thresholds are reached, indicating that the tanks need to be filled.
This project really demonstrates how effective the industrial internet of things (IIoT) can be. The DSR scheme is a system of connected businesses, not only providing financial benefits to participants, but providing essential power to the whole nation when needed. Having participating organisations able to increase capacity for the National Grid avoids the need to build new power stations.
Powelectrics telemetry is used in a wide range of Industry 4.0 level monitoring and remote condition monitoring applications. ‘Internet of Things’ devices are compatible with thousands of sensors offering a 4-20mA output.
- Remote condition monitoring of essential assets.
- Tank level monitoring- any height/shape of tank- gas, liquids, powders, granules.
- Remote meter reading.
- Data plans include multi network SIM cards, data hosting with user-friendly, customisable online viewing & email alarms.
- Stand-alone MetronView platform or API for simple integration to other software
- Robust and Proven- Tens of thousands of devices in the field globally.
- Devices remotely configurable via MetronView, tested on site using Metron2 integral display. Devices can also be set-up/reconfigured locally using a simple wizard. No programming skills are needed.
- Different power options including mains, solar & battery.
- GSM, radio and Sigfox telemetry
MetronView is Powelectrics cloud-based datalogger with customisable dashboards and bespoke reporting. Data and alerts can be easily viewed on a computer, tablet or phone. Metron View currently processes 2.5 million sensor readings/day and supports over 140 protocols including MODBUS, MQTT, HTTP, TCP, UDP, SERIAL, SIGFOX, SNMP and many more. It has an API for simple integration to other software.
Please call us to discuss your application on +44 1827 310 666