National Trust Uses Powelectrics Remote Monitoring to Improve Waste Collection
The National Trust looks after some of the most beautiful open spaces and historic places in Britain, often in remote locations, with no connection to the sewer network. Visitor waste must be stored in tanks and collected periodically by costly road tankers.
Variables, like school holidays and weather make it difficult to predict when tanks will get full and need emptying. Full tanks mean visitors can no longer use the facilities, but arranging collections too frequently is expensive and inconvenient.
Powelectrics have provided a ‘connected sensor’ telemetry solution. For this project, our solar-powered Metron2 telemetry device remotely monitors the level sensors on the waste tanks. No external power source is required. The device has an IP67 weatherproof enclosure and has been tested in operational temperatures from minus 25 to plus 65 degrees centigrade. Multi network sim cards help give coverage in rural locations.
Tank levels are read automatically, at user-defined intervals. Readings are sent to the cloud via the mobile phone network. Data can be seen on a local display. Data and alerts are processed by Powelectrics versatile MetronView platform and can be viewed on a computer or smart device. This allows for the timely, logical and efficient scheduling of collections.
Local managers are secure in the knowledge that tanks will never overfill and that visitors will not be inconvenienced or put off visiting National Trust properties, because they fear lack of access to facilities. The number of tankers visits to collect waste fallen dramatically.
Powelectrics telemetry is used in a wide range of level monitoring and remote condition monitoring applications. Devices are compatible with thousands of sensors offering a 4-20mA output.
- Remote condition monitoring of essential assets.
- Tank level monitoring- any height/shape of tank- gas, liquids, powders, granules.
- Remote meter reading.
- Data plans include multi network SIM cards, data hosting with user-friendly, customisable online viewing & email alarms.
- Stand-alone MetronView data platform or API for simple integration to other software
- Robust and Proven- Tens of thousands of devices in the field globally.
- Devices remotely configurable via MetronView, tested on site using Metron2 integral display. Devices can also be set-up/reconfigured locally using a simple wizard. No programming skills are needed.
- Different power options including mains, solar & battery.